Monday, December 17, 2007

Shall we dance?


Saturday Josh and I took our second Milonga Lisa workshop. It's a great deal of fun. Our Argentine Tango teachers, Domenico and Paula, teach it. They're are great. For those who don't know the Milonga is similar to the Argentine Tango, but faster. From what I understand it is more basic and came before the Argentine Tango. I believe that the Argentine Tango has it's roots in the Milonga, but I could be wrong about that. I tried to insert some videos from YouTube of our dance instructors doing the Milonga in the upper right side bar. Hopefully, it worked. You should be able to click on it and the youtube video will pop up. This will give you an idea of what the Milonga is like.
Josh and I attended both the beginner and intermediate classes. So, our schedule was: 3:30-5:00 beginner class, 5:15-6;15 Milonga/Argentine Tango guided practice, 6:30 - 8:00 intermediate class and then 8:30 celebrating Paola's birthday (food and drinks provided to all who wished to attend). We stayed for it ALL! My legs and feet were so sore, even Josh complained about his leg being sore and that's saying something for him. We learned a lot and we had fun though we were exhausted by the end of the night. There is a tradition among Tango dancers that the birthday girl/boy has to dance with everyone in the room. So, they got out a mop and you would pass the mop to the next person to dance with Paola, the birthday girl. When you had the mop you could cut-in on the dance and then the next person would cut-in on you after a few minutes. Josh didn't want to participate - he hates dancing in front of people, but he was a good sport and did it and he did a great job. I, on the other hand, did a lousy job! When her new partner cuts-in Paola has no choice whether she leads or follows (does the man's or woman's part). Of course, i made her lead because I don't know how to lead to save my life. After our 3 minute dance I realized I also had no idea how to follow either, but oh well! As the
party was progressing we both were so tired we didn't really feel like Tangoing and it was nice talking with people and getting to know them a little better, but you know that point when you're tired and all you want to do is go home, but you can't find a way to leave without seeming rude? that was where Josh and I were for most of the night. It wasn't that we didn't like the people at the party and it was enjoyable, we just wanted to go home, see our puppy, and relax. We didn't want to have to think about making polite conversation or what the next dance step was. Thankfully, after we had Tangoed with Paola we thought we could make out escape without being rude....but, no they then brought out a birthday cake. So, of course we stayed a bit longer. Can I just ask, what is the deal with cakes with no frosting here? There were 2 different cakes and neither one of them had frosting, they were just the plain old cake? what's that about? In my humble opinion, the frosting is the best part of the cake! but maybe I'm just spoiled because my mom made the world's best frosting. Yet, I digress. After the singing, everyone sang in English, then individual people sang in: Italian, Spanish, Bulgarian, Polish, Swedish, and Russian. I think I got 'em all! It was very nice. Luckily, after the cake was finished we chatted for a few minutes then made our escape. Whew! It was 10:30 p.m. by that time. 7 hours of dancing is enough for anyone. But, I think that we are better Milonga dancers now. We just have to try and force ourselves to practice at home. Does anyone else do that? They take a class or participate in an event and have tons of fun, yet you never practice it at home. It's not as though you actively try to avoid doing it you just don't think about it until the next class, or next event and then you think, "Gosh, I really should have practiced that. I barely remember what I'm supposed to do!" Hopefully, we're not the only ones out there who do this.....

3 comments:

doctor's mom said...

Wow! I'm impressed and proud! I hope that you'll continue to take more dance lessons...you both looked wonderful dancing at your wedding and that was with no lessons!! As for the cake....I agree...NO ICING???...what the heck is that about? That has always been my favorite part of the cake...what is the point of eating cake if their is no icing?
Keep up the good work..er..dancing!

Melanie said...

Thanks, we'll try and keep up the dancing. And, technically, we did have lessons for our wedding dance -just not many. We had a teacher choreograph it and teach it to us in 2- 2 hour lessons. I'm glad you thought we looked good because we barely did the dance we had been taught we messed up so badly!! hee, hee...

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

You guys are always doing something fun and interesting, especially the exciting bailing the water out of your apartment activities. I put a new version of the photo of you in your shawl on my blog. You can click on this one to make it big.