Thursday, December 6, 2007

Some new projects

The Sweater


Well, I've mainly been working on some new projects around the house, so I thought I'd share them with you all. Breathe a sigh of relief, most of this post will be pictures. I don't think I have too much to say about my ongoing projects past a brief description of what they are...then again, once I get started you never know what I might come up with to say!
Let's get started. First off, my knitting projects: I started my very first sweater a few months ago and am finally getting back to working on it every now and again. It's about time I did some work on this project. I bought this yarn - a tweed wool - while I was in Ireland last September. It was in Donegal, which is known for their wool and tweeds. I love this yarn so much and I wanted to find something special to do with it. It took me a long time to fabricate a makeshift measuring tool, figure out how much yarn I actually had to work with then wind all that yarn into center-pull balls. Once I discovered I had enough for a sweater I had to find a pattern. A big thanks goes out to Mrs. Tire (aka Bereni) who helped me find a pattern and gave me the belief that I actually could succeed in knitting a sweater. Unfortunately, since moving away from Williamsburg I no longer have her to lean on and fix my knitting mistakes. I have a feeling its going to be more difficult going alone on this sweater, but I shall forbear...at least I hope I will. We shall see, we shall see. For those interested I am attempting to knit a Raglan sweater ( I got the pattern from some book of Mrs. Tire's but I can't remember the name). I am still trying to decide if I will make it a v-neck sweater or a crew-neck. it's not the easiest pattern for a semi-beginner, like myself, to follow because it's a sort of build your own as you go. Should be a good learning experience if nothing else. Plus, the good thing about knitting is if you don't like it you can just frog it (rip it apart -frog, rip it, rip it - get it? don't worry I didn't get what the heck people were talking about the first time I heard it either).

On to knitting project number 2: the scarf. This is something I can definitely do. it's super easy and it was started by someone else! My friend Christine discovered that lugging around size 5 straight knitting needles and yarn while attempting to backpack across Europe was not an ideal situation. Thus, she left her needles and partially knitted scarf with me. Perhaps I should mail them to her in California, but I have a feeling between planning her wedding and dealing with her first year of film school, on top of settling into a new apartment she probably doesn't have loads of free time for knitting. She started her scarf out with just knitting plain and simple. I decided to spice it up a bit and do that basket-weave sort of pattern I've seen so many places. It's simple in itself, you knit 5, purl 5 over and over to the end and you do this for 5 rows, then you switch and purl 5, knit 5 for 5 rows. You get these fun little squares. I attempted to take a close up picture of this pattern, but the picture isn't very good - sorry.
Color is utter crap, but you can kinda see the pattern!

Last of the knitting is a finished project: My Christmas stocking. I finally finished it. Much to Josh's disappointment mine is bigger than his. Men are always concerned about size! hee, hee.
I didn't mean to make mine bigger, I was attempting to knit it the same size, I just have idiotic moments when
I forget that if I 'm using
thicker yarn I don't need to cast on as many stitches to get the same size. Oh well. Actually, I think my stocking looks a little ridiculous, short and fat - kinda like Ally!

And finally, a non-knitting project. Josh suggested the clever idea of
recovering our couches. I was a bit reluctant even though I agree the nasty green couch could do with a makeover. It's kinda falling apart and most of it is no longer nice faux suede material, it's pilling faux suede material! My objections were: 1) we have yet to find a fabric store
2) we don't have a sewing machine 3) I forget, but I'm sure it was a good one. Naturally, we just happen to be at Ikea and what do we find? Fabric at a decent price. We decided then and there to get some and see what we could do to spiff up our old, worn-out couch (which is pretty new to us since we just bought it used in July!). So, we selected some red fabric and after having measured, cut and washed it, I spent some time today hand-sewing some pieces together. This is going to be one long and bumpy ride! We'll see what the final product looks like and hey, if it doesn't work oh well. I'll have had something that occupied my time and we'll be out maybe $30, so that's not too bad. We couldn't have bought a new couch for that, even another used one! So, all-in-all I think it'll be ok. Yeah, you can all point out this post to me in a few days when I start ranting and raving about how my beloved husband convinced me to take on this cockamamie project! Till then, adieu....
The Fabric













The Couch
Ha, ha, ha it's rather funny to me that we are covering our green couch in red fabric - how Christmasy of us!!!!!




4 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm sorry this post is all screwed up and my "captions" aren't under their pictures. I don't know what happened, it looked fine when I wrote and previewed it. Maybe I'll try to fix it later, but right now I'm too irritated to try!

Melanie said...

oh and now some of the words at the end are HUGE! I have no idea what happened. I tried to go back and fix this, but I don't know why it's doing it.

SORRY!

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

Love your Christmas stockings! Did you just "wing" them because of the excellent sock-making instruction you received in your knitting infantcy? You're becoming a great intuitive knitter because of the socks and "design your own raglan" types of projects you've tackled. You have earned your moniker...Crazy May-el!

Melanie said...

I definitely used the "maggie smythe" sock pattern but with bigger needles and a few small adjustments to make my stockings!