Friday, October 26, 2007

Baby it's cold outside

An unceremonious thump in my chest and the familiar weight of our 80 pound dog fell against my body as Ally carried out her morning ritual. Through bleary eyes I make out the red digits on the alarm clock-7:20am. We never set the alarm clock because we have Ally. She's not quite as consistent as one might wish but she wakes anywhere between 5:45 and 7:30, I'm always thankful when it's closer to 7:30, especially as I no longer have a job to rush off to. Ally snuggles in close for her morning pets and my heavy hands find her weak spots, rubbing as vigorously as a half asleep zombie can around her ears and neck. She lets out a deep sigh of contentment as I rub her face. My head sinks further into the softness of my pillow and my leaden eyelids slide shut. A minute later a cold nose is pressed into my face to remind me that I have not finished giving out the obligatory morning caresses. When she's had a enough she sits at the end of the bed majestically staring at me and giving a low whine of discontent. I can almost hear her thinking, "Get out of bed you lazy bastard and let's go for a walk." As I grumble, " ok, ok," and heave myself up she nimbly jumps off the bed and heads to the front door.
I glance over at the sleeping form of my husband who has obliviously slept through Ally's morning ritual. Even though we take turns walking her every morning it's me she comes to for her morning snuggle. Sometimes I think the house could be falling down around his head and Josh would sleep through it. Some mornings I have to forcibly kick him out of bed so I can lie undisturbed by pitiful whining!
But, this morning is my day to walk the dog. For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to get myself in better shape and a better frame of mind by taking Ally for a morning jog instead of a mere walk. I look at my warm-ups knowing I should jog this morning too, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Josh and I went to a Tango session last (we're taking classes at the CERN Dancing club) and my body is sore from trying to hold the proper Tango position while wearing heels. So, instead I throw on my jeans, t-shirt, and boots; there will be no jogging this morning.
I open the front door and remember it's getting closer and closer to winter. This morning isn't so terribly cold, but the hours of sunlight are already getting shorter. Gone are the mornings when I opened the door to see the sky streaked in rosy hues as the sun rose slowly over the Alps in the east. Now I open the door to find the sky still wrapped in velvety darkness. Thank god there are street lights everywhere especially considering all I own for a winter coat is a black ski jacket - doesn't really stand out in the dark.
I grudgingly clip on Ally's leash and say, "Well let's go," as she bounds happily to the gate. And to think just a couple weeks ago I had reveled in the beauty and stillness of our morning autumnal walks. Today that lovely cool, crisp breeze I had loved so much has a bite to it. It's not a comfortable chill that requires jeans and a sweatshirt it's starting to take on that chill where after 10 minutes your realize your an idiot for not bringing along some light gloves and your fingertips are starting to yearn for a steaming hot mug of coffee to be clasped between them.
I watch as the wind blows through the trees making them rattle and whisper as the gold, red, and orange leaves of autumn are lifted off their branches and swirled to the ground waiting to be trod upon with a satisfying crunch.
As I huddle deeper in my coat watching the sky lighten from the velvety darkness of night to the gray dawn of morning I curse Ally. These are mornings she loves. Her boundless energy pulls me along as her excited breath puffs in white clouds before her. She doesn't seem to feel any coldness, just the joy of our quiet morning together. hmmm....that's pretty sentimental. I doubt she cares about being with me, she just loves getting out of the yard. This is her time of freedom and exploration - a retractable leash. The French might let their dogs run amok but I don't trust Ally to not run out in front of a car in desperate pursuit of a squirrel or cat.
This morning I'm tired and I relent a little. When we get to the little semi-enclosed park around the corner I let her off her leash to run around a bit. She doesn't do much running but immediately finds a place to dig and contents herself with pawing up the earth while I watch from a nearby bench.
When I feel she's had enough digging time I collect her, she's way too adorable with dirt spattered across her nose. It's time to get warm again. That hot coffee is calling to me...if only Josh has gotten his lazy butt out of bed and made me some. Nope, that's too much to ask for. Aw well, maybe another day.

5 comments:

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

I just don't see Ally as being the type of dog to use the word, "bastard". Hmmmm...perhaps, "ass-face"?

Melanie said...

Oh no, she definitely uses the word bastard. Sometimes she goes as far as to use Josh's favorite phrase, "mother puss bucket". You can tell by the gleam in her eye that she's thinking, "You mother puss bucket."

doctor's mom said...

Tell Josh I said to get his lazy butt out of bed and bring his darling wife her coffee!!

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melanie said...

well, I would tell Josh that...only I don't do it for him...so really, it's only fair. =)
oops, I had posted this comment before, but then realized I had been using Josh's account, so it looked like he had posted it! ha, ha