Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

Well, today is a day to celebrate, the day of my birth. Whoohooo! surprisingly, I pretty much forgot that it was my birthday this week until I received a card from my grandmother. Good ol' grandma. I usually really enjoy birthdays and try to make the most out of them, but this year...I just don't really care that much. Kinda sad, really.
I'm not upset or depressed about being a year older, I mean 28 isn't a bad age. The thing that is depressing or upsetting to me is where I am in my life related to where I imagined I would be. I didn't think that I'd have no career, no job, and no idea what the hell I wanted to do when I turned 28, but guess what? That's exactly where I am: no career, no job, no clue. Wow, I feel great.
Things aren't all that bad, it just seems like these little milestones - such as birthdays - make you reevaluate your life. Sometimes that's not much fun. Granted I have many things that I am happy and thankful about. I have a wonderful, loving husband (we got married September 01, 2007; but have been together 10 years, don't ask), I have a fabulous black lab mix, and I live in the beautiful country side of France. Yeah, I've got lots of things going for me...I just can't seem to shake off this nagging feeling of I should be doing more. More of what? Who knows, but definitely something....
...well, this is getting too deep for my emotional fragility on my 28th birthday. So, I'm going to give it a rest, have a nice glass of wine, and curl up on the couch with Ally, my dog. I would be doing something more active with my husband but he's off playing soccer (or football to the rest of the world). It's the only night of the week that he plays so I can't begrudge him that and he did offer to skip it tonight since it was my birthday...but we're going to Paris this weekend and I figured we'll have lots of togetherness there. No need to deprive him of his love - soccer- just because it's the day I was born.

No comments: