Friday, May 9, 2008

Where oh where....

Random photo from Annecy, France



sometimes living in a foreign country drives me absolutely batty. Here's what it is today: The Theatre Academy is putting on a show, 'Dracula Spectacula,' next weekend. This week my boss, the director of the show pulled out the props list I made for him over a month ago and said, "Right, let's see what else we need." He has, naturally, added props not called for in the original script, as I knew he would, and waited till the last moment to ask me to collect all the props he doesn't have yet. Great! It's not that I mind making and/or buying the props that we need it's just that it is going to take me twice as long to find everything because I don't know where in the world to find any of that stuff here! Plus, I don't really have a wide network to pull from. I don't have contacts in the theatre community here who I can call up and say, "Hey, have you got this or that? Can I borrow it?"

Add on top of that he gave me some Swiss francs to make purchases and I live in France. I'm much more familiar with where to look in France, but I don't have Euros...it just complicates matters. The thing that irks me is that it would be so easy in the U.S. I'd run to Home Depot or Lowe's to get dowel rods and paint, I'd got to Joanne Fabrics or Michael's for cheap silk flowers and ribbon. But here I don't know where to begin. OK, that's sort of a lie. I have a good idea where I can get dowel rods and paint and I can think of a couple places where I might be able to find silk flowers...but you get my point, don't you?

I'm probably just romanticizing the ease in which I could accomplish this stuff back in the good ole' U.S. of A. because I can't wait to get back there and see my family. I should look at this need to go out and find things as a way to get to know Geneva and the surrounding area better...but, alas, I'm not that good of a person. I don't want a learning experience. I just want to get my job done with time left to spend the weekend hanging out with my hubby puttering around the garden and taking the dog for long, lazy walks in the sun. Instead, I have a feeling I'll be running around like a mad woman trying to pull all this stuff together. blah. And next week is totally shot because I'll be at the Theatre on Thursday and Friday nights and all day Saturday and Sunday. Then Monday at 6 a.m. we take off for New York. I am going to be SOOOO ready for a holiday. It's amazing how exhausted working more than 2 days a week can make you when you've been unemployed for so long! hee, hee I'm sure some of you would like to hit me over that head with a snow shovel! If I were working full time and read this, I'd want to hit me too.

3 comments:

Sara said...

try the big "migros do-it" that is just past carouge. there is also a whole craft section or separate store over there.

Melanie said...

thanks I'll definitely check it out...that is if I can manage to find it!

Melanie said...

oh, found it on google maps - I'll definitely hit it up tomorrow.
MERCI BEAUCOUP!