Monday, June 23, 2008

the FanZone, Baby

Woohoo, the FanZone in the Plainpalais in downtown Geneva. Big stuff here folks. Actually, it was quite fun. They have a section all blocked off, you have to enter through a gate with security who check your bags and make you throw out any food or drink. There was a stage with lots of lights, a HUGE screen for watching the games, and vendors with good food at exorbitant prices for their captive hungry and thirsty audience. Seriously, it was actually cheaper to buy food and drinks (including Jungle juice) at the fete de la musique! Crazy. But those guys new what they were doing. Once you entered the FanZone you didn't want to leave until the match was over. They got you good with their beer prices and you know EVERYONE was gulping that down on a hot day while watching a football match (that's soccer for all you Americans - see I am becoming more European).

Here's a picture of the bizarre Swiss mascot. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be. sorry, I didn't get a picture from the front. The face is painted white, there's that crazy corkscrew black hat, and the donut around the waste. If anyone has any idea what this Swiss mascot is supposed to be, I'd love to know! Oh, and you gotta love the black and white diamond tights. Where can I get me some o' those?

There's the DH and our friends all sporting orange in support of Holland. It was cool to be watching the match surrounded by a sea of Orange and Red (the Russians) shouting, cheering, and cursing passionate fans. It was an exciting match too. The Dutch were out played, but they hung in there. Their defense was phenomenal. Especially Van der Sar, their goalie - can you say amazing? He's a 6'5" tall, lanky package of awesomeness. The Russians ended up winning in overtime, but Van der Sar did all he could to stop them...which, is more than I can say for the Dutch defense. Look, I like Holland, I was rooting for them. But, they did seem to run out of steam at the end. I don't know if it was because they were just exhausted from playing 90 minutes plus 30 minutes of over time or if they just gave up because the Russians were relentless.
There's me in my lovely orange straw hat. Provided for me by Martjne (I think that's how you spell it). He had it on hand in case I didn't have an orange shirt -which I didn't. He's Dutch and wanted to make sure we were all visibly supporting his team. Janice, his wife, is American. She's from North Dakota, I believe, and probably wouldn't thank me if she knew I'd posted this picture on the internet. hmmm....let's hope she never stumbles across this! Well, folks. I'm sure you've had a blast (yeah right) reading about the FanZone but I spent a long day scrubbing the house and gardening in the hot sun so I'm tired and ready to go chill out before I hit the sack.
later gator.

1 comment:

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

Swiss mascot is scary. Brrrr.