Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm still alive!

I know, I know, it's been forever since I've posted anything. I've been a bit busy lately. Between work and the weather finally clearing so I can get work done outside my days have been pretty full. You thought I was spending all my time asleep on the couch, being the lazy ass I am. Admit it, that's what you were thinking. well, ha. Fooled you.

This weekend we were crazy busy and it was great! Thursday night we had dinner upstairs with our neighbor, Beat, (pronounce bat) Marion is at a wedding in sunny California. Along with stuffing ourselves with yummy sausages we watched the Portugal - Germany Euro Cup match - very exciting. Friday night we had a barbecue for the end of Tango...well, the end of year barbecue for the CERN Dancing club. It was fun and has inspired DH and I to try and plan a nice big "American" barbecue for our friends. We'll see how that goes. What do you think a quintessential American barbecue requires?

Besides food there was, of course, dancing. A few of the classes did presentations. I have to say I am seriously considering joining the Oriental Dance next year. It's kind of like "belly dancing". The women looked so cool jiggling their hips making their bells jingle jangle. I really loved it. I dance all the time at home shakin' my booty...so, why not learn an actual dance where booty shakin' is the staple?!? hmm...I'll have to consider this when I haven't been pouring wine down my throat.

Yesterday, Saturday, we did more gardening and then headed down into Geneva for le fete de musique. This is a very cool festival held every year in Geneva. For 3 days (Friday-Sunday) there are stages set up all over Geneva (mainly in the Old Town) where people play free concerts. C'est formidable! There are the standard fair booths scattered everywhere selling goodies. Only here it's not fried dough, french fries and beer. It's Thai food, Portugese cuisine, Sri Lankan fare, and Jungle Juice. mmmm...jungle juice...turns out it's not quite as exciting as it sounds lots of vodka with what tasted like a splash of orange juice and, they claimed, pineapple juice.

We only went to one area, le parc bastion, where the reformation wall is. There were, I think, 6 stages there and we wandered around listening to the performers, eating yummy, exotic food, and watching the street performers. I loved it. We listened for a while to a James Brown Tribute band - how great is that? In Switzerland you can stop and listen to a James Brown Tribute band and the Swiss were jamming out. They loved them some James Brown. Fantastique!! Following are some random pictures we took while wandering the festivities. There was a group of guys doing some type of martial arts to some funky drum beats, a jazz band, and a group of drummers (from Portugal...maybe...I'm not sure)

OK, so I've been drinking quite a bit of wine this evening. It's a lovely local wine. A cote du Jura 2006 Chardonnay. Wine notes? Wine note, they don't need no stinkin' wine notes. Their French. I can't speak intelligently about wine...especially after 3 ...or...more glasses. All I can say is mmmm...mmmmm...good. Perfect and refreshing on a hot and sunny day. So, I guess I'll just have to find some time in my busy schedule cleaning house tomorrow to post pictures about the Fan Zone and the Holland-Russia match last night.
I raise my glass to you all, or all y'all, if you're from Texas. Cheers!!!

2 comments:

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

The festival looks awesome. I love exotic food! American barbecues...let's see...potato salad?

Melanie said...

potato salad and baked beans are definitely on the list of musts! The festival was lots of fun. I'll definitely go again next year if we're here.