Monday, February 16, 2009

La Thuile and Courmayeur, Italy



Skiing on Saturday was definitely tons of fun. It was a gorgeous, if cold, sunny day. We skied with some Italian friends who knew the resort pretty well and we just relaxed and had a nice time enjoying the day. It's so much fun to say, "Oh yes, we went to Italy for the day to ski." I never in my life thought those words would come out of my mouth! Sometimes I still find it mind boggling that so many different countries and cultures are so close at hand. Just imagine if instead of the United States, each state was a different country! That's what living in Europe is like, kind of.

Anyways here are a few photos of our day.
This is a very cool fort on top off one of the slopes that was from World War II. No one really seemed to know much about it, such as was it the French or the Italians who built and used it? The hubby and i thought we might try and return in the spring or summer when you can hike through the mountains and check it out then. It looked like you could go inside it or at least up on to the ramparts (or whatever you'd call them). Pretty cool. Around every corner you run into a little bit of history.
sadly my connection keeps cutting out, so I'm just going to post what I have.

3 comments:

doctor's mom said...

I am thrilled for you two...never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would have a son and daughter-in-law living (and skiing!) in Europe! As much as I miss you both, I am so glad you have such a wonderful opportunity! Love to you both!! Stay warm!!

Islara Souto Boixados said...

Hi, Are you in Sergy? We just got here, Americans living in Haute Sergy -- up the Jura. It's damp & cold!

Islara Souto Boixados said...

Hi, Are you in Sergy? We are Americans living in Haute Sergy -- up the Jura.