Tuesday, February 24, 2009

life's little dilemmas

I don't know what to do. We have been invited to co-workers wedding in April in England and a part of me would really like to go and another part of me shudders at the thought of spending so much money for a two day trip to go to a wedding of people I don't know all that well. On the one hand I work with her and I have met her fiance, we've had drinks before and socialized at theatre events and stuff. On the other hand it is a bit hard for me to justify the expense when they're not really close friends. I mean I wasn't even sure we were going to be invited. I could understand if we weren't considering...well I guess I met them a year and a half ago. It doesn't seem that long.

On the plus side we'd get to go to Telford, England - somewhere we've never been and stay in a very cool looking haunted hotel. Down side it would be a very quick trip without any real option of making it into a longer trip. We'd both have to get back to work asap. hmmm...the hubbster is being really great about it all. He knows the couple somewhat and is willing to go if that's what I want, but wouldn't be fussed if we missed the event either. Great, that means it's my decision and I HATE making decisions. Especially when there is money concerned. I can't help it I can be a real cheapskate at times. It's so selfish that part of me thinks, well if we spend the money to go to the wedding then that's one less long weekend elsewhere in Europe that we'd be taking. But, then I think maybe a weekend in Telford, England would be fantastic and I'd really miss something. Just because it's not on my list of places to go in Europe doesn't mean it wouldn't be a really nice weekend trip. Plus we'd get to party down at the reception.

Oh the other thing is that it is Black Tie! Yikes! I can't figure out if that's a plus or a minus. It's a plus because it's always fun to get all dolled up. A minus/plus because I'd have to buy a new dress and while I love getting new clothes there's that whole parting with my money thing again (do you see the Scrooge trend emerging yet?). It's not just having to buy a new dress it's that clothing here is super expensive. And the hubby would have to get some new clothes too. I looked it up on-line and it does say that men can wear a dark suit with a white shirt and black tie if the Black Tie wedding is in the afternoon. The wedding is at 1pm, so I'm figuring he'd be safe enough in his suit. It's dark grey...do you think that counts? Gosh I hope so because we really can't afford to buy him a new suit. The wedding would definitely be out if that were the case. Then again, it would be pretty cool for the hubby to get a suit here. When we move back to the States he could be like, "Oh this, yeah. I bought it in Europe." Or "Oh I picked this up in Italy" wouldn't that be sweet? OK, OK it's just a dream, but it would still be pretty rockin'. Admit it, you think so to.

Well, I'm tired. I need to get to bed. think of me tossing and turning trying to figure out what to do about this wedding dilemma: to go or not to go, that is the question. I'm sure I'll figure it out, I just hope it's soon...

4 comments:

doctor's mom said...

Sounds like a dilema alright! Why don't you add up what it would cost you...dress, flight, hotel, food, gift and incidentals and see what the total is...then decide if it is really afordable...if you were really close friends there would be no dilema...but since you're not....well.....you must make the choice to spend the money or not!

Melanie said...

I know, that's exactly what we've been trying to do. It's just still a hard decision. We like them, and are friendly with them...but it's not like they are dear friends. arrrgh. decisions, decisions

doctor's mom said...

Something else to think about...if you are having trouble deciding about going...chances are you are only trying to justify NOT going. If it really meant that much to you to go...there would really be no decision to make. Does that make any sense??

Unknown said...

This is a hard decision but your friends would probably understand if you didn't make it and spend a little extra on their gift. Go and not be able to give such a nice gift because of the travel expenses. How about taking them out when they get back instead of going to the wedding. The wedding does sound like fun but sometimes you need to be realistic, does this sound like your mother? That's where you get the 'gene' for having a hard time parting with your money. Let us know what your decision is.