Sunday, December 14, 2008

Escalade 2008

Once again as Christmas approaches the big event in Geneva is the Escalade, held on the weekend closest to December 12. This is a huge event for the Genevoise. It is a celebration of their defeat of the invading Savoyards in 1602. People are roaming the streets in 17th Century clothing, vin chaud and hot soup is sold at stalls throughout the old town. There are demonstartions of the battling with the pike or the musket. Cannons firing. And it's all finished up with a huge parade, a proclamation and a gigantic bonfire. We didn't stick around for the bonfire, but we watched the pompiers (the firemen) set it up.

All in all a good day.

well, for some reason blogger doesn't want to load my pictures so I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.
no promises because I have a ton of stuff that has to get done tomorrow in preparation for the family inondation, but I'll try my best!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The family is getting ready to descend upon you. Glad you had a good time at the Escalade. See you in a couple of days.
Mom & Dad

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

Merry Christmas guys!