Thursday, December 4, 2008

Jingle all the Way

so, even after living in Europe for a year and a half I still have moments of culture shock. On my way home from work today I was listening to WRS (World Radio Switzerland) an English language radio station - I know, I know it's no wonder my French still sucks I listen to the radio in English, watch TV and movies in English, work with people who speak English....but, that's not the point. There was a story on the news about how in Ticino (part of Switzerland down near Italy) there had been huge protest rallies because the Cantonal government (think of State government in the U.S.) decided to allow stores to have extended hours in December. This would mean that for 3 Sundays in December shops could be open AND they could stay open till 9:00 pm on December 23 and December 30. There was a huge uproar over this and massive protests. "What about the people who work in those shops?" people queried, "They have families too. They deserve to have time off as well." All I could think of was, "What the HELL are you people carrying on about?"

It's totally the American in me coming out. I just have the mind set that these people are working in a service industry, that means they have to work when people want that particular service. Hell, I used to have to work on Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, New Year's day and that was at such worthwhile jobs as a gas station and busing tables at a restaurant. I remember my first experience working Thanksgiving day. I was busing tables at a restaurant in my home town. I'd just finished my first semester of college and I couldn't believe I had to work on Thanksgiving, it didn't really make me very thankful. I was sure that it would be a joke, that no one would turn up for this elaborate Thanksgiving buffet we'd set out. Surely, everyone would be home celebrating with their families. They had grandmothers, Aunts, and mothers who cooked huge holiday meals for them...didn't they? Alas, I was so off base. The place was packed. I spent the day clearing off table, filling drinks, lugging more food out and empty warmers back into the kitchen. anyways, that was just the beginning of years filled with working on the holidays. Gas station cashier, yuck, but everyone needs gas 24 hours a day 7 days a week no exceptions. When I got into theatre that meant there was no getting around working weekends and most holidays. I mean, that's when everyone else wasn't working and they could pay for you to entertain them.

So, I'm used to people working on holidays. The funny thing is the government wasn't allowing shops to be open any holidays at all, just Sundays (a big no no in Switzerland - the only thing open is a pharmacy for emergencies) and some extended hours. Jeez, can you imagine anyone even blinking if a store decided to extend their hours? Or open up on a *gasp* Sunday or holiday? Not in the culture that created and embraced Walmart and 24 hour shopping.

Turns out last month there was a similar debate in Geneva. There was such an outcry that the government couldn't pass bill...or whatever it was granting shops the right to be open for 3 Sundays in December. What they did allow was for shops to be open HOUR later. But they had to pay their employees double for that extra time! Can you believe that? I'm still reeling from the thought of it. I've adapted to much of life in Europe, but some days, some things just still hit me as completely absurd.

Who know, maybe they've got it right and the culture of consumerism in the United States should take a step back and look at how we run things. Then again, I can't see how having your shop open during the busiest buying season of the year for a couple of extra days - even if they are Sundays - is really such a huge deal.
What do you think?

4 comments:

Sara said...

one of the cool things about the rule is that it gives small shops an advantage, there are special rules that shops with only the owner and direct family members as workers (really direct, only parents or kids, no siblings), can get special permission to open on Sundays.

They have had this in Carouge for the past few years and are doing it again this year (you should check it out on Sunday, its a great atmosphere). I have a friend who owns a yarn shop there and its great because it gives the small shop owners more business and a way to compete against the mega marts.

Melanie said...

hmmm. I didn't know about that rule. That is pretty cool and I do like the idea that it helps small, family run businesses. I'll have to check it out.

A yarn store...I don't know if I should chance it. I haven't bought yarn in ages (because I haven't knit anything in ages) it could be dangerous...

The Moss's said...

How interesting, true we in the USA are commercialized but isnt that "one" of the things that has made America what attracts foreigners to our Great Nation. Jobs, more money, the right to work or not too. The ways of life in Europe do seem to be more traditional, not sure about family oriented as your younger people are growing up in a "New" world and want to experience all that is out there.

I would be curious to know how many of these folks who are protesting are the "older" folks as opposed to the "younger" generation.

doctor's mom said...

I do understand where these people are coming from...until the late 1960's (or was it the 70's?)there was nothing open on Sunday's or holiday's. It was no big deal...you just planned ahead. It seems that everything got more commercialized when the "blue laws" were repealed. Maybe it's not such a bad thing to have a day where no business is conducted and everyone gets a day off! Maybe they have the right idea. Just a thought!