Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What a day!

First, I almost missed the bus. I got there just in time to run after it waving my hands in the air. Luckily, the driver took pity on me and stopped to let me on. I breathlessly said, "merci beaucoup, Monsieur!" (It is deemed impolite not to say Madame or Monsieur) He said something I didn't quite catch - 1) it was in French and 2) even if I could have understood it I couldn't actually hear the words over the rumble of the bus starting to move. No doubt it was something witty or maybe a chastisement about being on time for the bus. So, anyways I reached my destination with plenty of time to spare. An hour, to be exact. I knew that I would have this free hour and figured I'd just wander around the area or something. What I didn't count on was it to start raining the minute I got to Geneva. And me without my umbrella.

So, I wandered around and found a shopping center. I meandered through the grocery store and a tabac (a little store that sells magazines, newspapers, and things). Then I decided to grab a coffee and read my book - I am currently rereading the last Harry Potter book. It's fabulous, isn't it?

It was nice to be out of the rain and sit down a bit. I was right on time to meet up with Jenna (the head teacher of the academy) we had a good class. The kids are fun - it's another "minnies" class ages 4-6. I led a few games and got to know them a bit. I think I'm going to have some problems remembering who's who in this class. The Thursday classes in Tannay seem to be populated with Isabella's and this Wednesday class in Chene-Bougeries is dominated with Alex names! There is Alexander, Alexandra, Alexia, Alexis, and one more I think. Crazy, no?

We got through the class. Jenna kindly offered to drop me at a bus stop closer to home, which was super nice of her. Unfortunately, I ended up getting dropped of one road over from where I needed to be so I splashed through the puddles and rain. My lucky day, I stepped into a nice big puddle, the water pooled into the cuffs of my pants, which I didn't realize till I took another step and all the water poured down out of the cuff and directly into my sneakers. Eventually, I got to the right tram stop. Took that one stop where I needed to await the bus. Naturally, this bus stop didn't have a shelter so I stood out in the rain for a good 10 minutes. Finally, I got into a nice dry bus a bit chilled, my feet soaking wet, but non the worse for wear.

I settled into my seat and started to read Harry Potter. I am usually very good at judging where we are in the bus trip. I occasionally glance up and can figure how much longer till my stop. Today, I don't know what happened. Maybe it was because there were fewer people on the bus, thus fewer stops or maybe I just got so engrossed in my book, but whatever it was I looked up and didn't recognize where we were. Hmm...strange I thought as I returned to my book. Then it hit me. I looked out the window again and realized I had missed my stop. I was in the next town over. I got off at the next time and trekked back to Sergy and home sweet home. Thankfully, it wasn't too far away. Maybe a fifteen minute walk at most. And best of all it had finally stopped raining.

Now, Ally is driving me nuts whining, but truth be told I don't want to walk anymore. I feel like my whole day has either been sloshing through the rain or sitting on the bus. And I just want to curl up in something warm and dry and relax.

No comments: