Saturday, April 26, 2008

What have I done now!?

aaahhh, as if getting ticketed on the bus weren't bad enough, now I seem to have issues with driving our car. No, I didn't get a ticket nothing like that. It's just...well...you see I was asked late Thursday night if I would be able to go in to work Friday afternoon to teach one of the Stage 2 classes (that's kids 10-12 years old). I said, "Sure, no problem. It should be fun." So Friday afternoon found me jumping into the car and heading off for work. It's about a 30 minute drive through the back roads and smallish towns. An easy drive that I practically have on automatic pilot now.

All was fine, it was a beautiful day. The sun was shining you could see the alps clearly in distance. It was one of those moments where you just sigh contentedly thinking, "Gosh, I can't believe I live in such a beautiful place!" All was right with the world. Until, that is I actually reached Tannay. Now to give you an idea you enter town by going around a curve where the road immediately narrows. There are no sidewalks, no shoulder of the road, just stone buildings to your right and your left. Yes, there is enough space for two cars to pass each other, but it is tight. I come around the curve and there is a car coming my way. The other car is hugging the center of the road - there are no lines on the road, by the way. So I just move the car a little bit more to the right. I had plenty of space...or so I thought... KACHUNK...I hit the corner of stone building with my passenger side mirror! I didn't stop I just kept going as I really hadn't processed what had just happened. I glance at the mirror, "Oh shit," there is the glass dangling from the plastic, reflecting the side of the car in it's fractured face.

Luckily that's all the damage there was. Not too horrendous considering. I mean it' s not like the whole mirror had been ripped completely off the car or something. Just one more of the increasingly long list of things to fix on the car. It is definitely going to have to go to the shop for some servicing soon. And perhaps I need to find some exercises on improving depth perception. I really thought I had plenty of room. On the other hand when I went home later that evening I took a good look at the corner of that building and from the gouges I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person whose clipped it with their car! These narrow European roads can be dangerous! And that's no joke.

1 comment:

The Moss's said...

ahhhhh maybe you should change the sub-title of your Blog to:
"Good, Law-abiding USA girl goes awry in France".

We stillllll love ya.