Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Enchante

I met three charming little French girls today. They were walking their dog and stopped by the fence to visit with Ally just as Ally and I were getting ready to go for our afternoon walk. We stopped and spoke with the girls for a bit. They were very good about slowing down their French for me and they could speak English beautifully. Well, at least 2 of them could . Either the youngest girl didn't speak English or she was just shy - her older sister, at least I think she was an older sister- did all the translating for the younger one when I couldn't understand what she was saying (though she didn't talk much). They loved Ally and Ally could have cared less about them. All she wanted was to go on her walk. She wasn't even interested in their dog, Samba. Oh well, what a stuck up little dog we have.

The oddest thing about meeting these girls was that they kept asking if I wanted them to walk Ally. I was a bit confused having told them that I was going on une promenade- a walk (at least that's what I was trying to say in French). Finally, I figured out the littlest one wanted to actually walk Ally, hold the leash. I thought this was not such a great idea so I said no, but they could walk with us if they wanted. I tried to explain that Ally sometimes pulled or got excited when she saw a cat and so it was best if I walked her. I think they were a little put out with me, but they were still very nice. I don't know why I find it so weird, but this is the second time I've had a child here want to walk Ally for me. Children I don't know and who don't know Ally. I find that so bizarre. You don't just walk other peoples dogs. Is it a cultural thing or do American kids do that too? I've never had any children in the States ask to walk Ally. Sure they've wanted to pet her, but never take her for a walk. This little girl took my no with grace, but the little boy who had asked me kept insisting that he could walk her and trying to grab the leash from my hand. Come to think of it that little boy was maybe American...or British. I can't remember. Regardless, I know Ally is cute and all but she's a pretty big dog. She's nearly half the size of these kids who want to walk her. I find it utterly baffling.

well, that's about all for today. Not much going on, just practicing my French with the little girls fo the neighborhood. I have to say that I am quite jaloux (jealous pronounce ja-looze or maybe it's ja-loo...) of their ability to speak English so well, when here I am living in France for cripes sake unable to understand simple phrases. Ah well, it' s my own fault for not practicing more. The more effort I make the better I will become. Right? Right. I knew that's what you'd say, so I just answered for you. It's easier that way.

No comments: