Tuesday, January 15, 2008

C'est fini


At 6:30 this evening I was with my neighbor at the vets as the decision was made to put Picasso to rest. He had been suffering from seizures all day and they were just getting worse. My neighbor had done what was right: she gave Picasso time, a chance to see whether or not he might recover and when it was apparent to everyone that recovery was not going to happen she let him go. It was the best thing for him. We both held him and pet him in his last moments and shed our tears. I let her have the last few moments with him, he was her dog not mine, and then we hugged and cried and said what a good dog that snaggle-toothed slobber hound was. Despite having moments of irritation with him and annoyance at feeling bound to take care of a dog that wasn't mind I cared for him a lot. He just wanted to be loved. It's hard to imagine that he will no longer visit us, resting his big, slobbery head on my lap while I sit and read. Yes, I will no longer have to clean the drool from my pants or mop up the watery mess in the kitchen, but I will miss him greatly, as will Ally.



Farewell Picasso you were loved and will be missed.

3 comments:

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

Oh, no. I just read the posts about Picasso. I was getting so fond of his funny but adorable face over here a continent away. I am so sorry. It sounds like you did everything possible to make him feel loved and comfortable. I love that picture of him at the top of this post. I know you guys will miss him.

The Moss's said...

Please be sure to extend our deepest sympathy to your neighbors and let them know Picasso was loved clear around the world. We too will miss you Picasso.

doctor's mom said...

Oh my gosh... I just read about Picasso...I am so sorry!!! I know how hard it is to have a much loved pet put to sleep. It is truly for the best..but that really doesn't make you feel a whole lot better. We will miss reading about that "slobber-hound's" antics. Even thinking about him is causing me tears. We was truly loved "around the world".