Friday, January 25, 2008

Whew...

...sigh of relief. That's over and done with. I just returned from my interview and, of course, it was not a nightmare, the people were incredibly nice, and I handled myself well. I mean, the rational part of my brain was telling myself this the whole time, new exactly how it would all play out, yet the irrational me kept screaming, "what if you make a fool or yourself? what if they hate you?" Please, hate me? after talking with me for 45 minutes? That's pretty drastic.
I think I made a decent impression on them. I have no idea if I'm what they are looking for or if they would prefer someone with more teaching experience than I have. All I can do is wait and see. Oh, did I mention that they were looking for someone to teach; classes with 4-6 year olds, and 7-9 year olds. Plus, some administrative work on the side. I think I could handle that. OK, well I've never really taught for an extended period of time - just very structured workshops in schools, but it sounds like they have a syllabus (even if it is a loose syllabus) and files with exercises that work with certain age groups and all that. The other plus side is that the 4-6 year olds get 2 teachers. That would be right up my alley to have another teacher with me, at least to start me off, you know. So, I could learn the ropes from someone who's been doing it for a while.
I'm trying not to hope too much for anything because I don't want to be terribly disappointed when I don't get the job. I also told them that regardless of the outcome of the interview I'd still be willing to volunteer some of my time. Do you think that was a mistake? I never know in these situations if someone will think, "wow, she's really dedicated." or "hmmm, she'll work for free." I just never know the right thing to say in such instances. It's true that if I can I'd volunteer my time, but it's also true that if another job comes along I need the money more than I have a need to hang around a theatre and theatre people. Oh brain, why can't you shut off...or, at least, shut up. I keep analyzing and over-analyzing what I said, how I said it, what I should have said. I need to just forget it. It's over, I did my best. They can take it or leave it. It just seems like a fun place to work and an interesting job to have.
Who knows who they'll be interviewing in London next week. Maybe I'll have an edge over the competition because i already work here. Then again, I might be down some because I don't have a work permit. I did mention that I only had a residency card (though somehow I managed to get one for France and Switzerland even though I am living in France). I assume that if they often hire people out of London then they must know how to get work permits, but then again, most of those people are only here for a short stint -you know, guest workshops and performances.
Aaaahhhh, I need to stop thinking about it before I drive myself crazy. I'm going to go eat some lunch then go do some rubber stamping and make some cards. I've been a lunatic this week making cards all day to keep my mind off the interview. Now the interview is over and I'm going to return to my spastic card making to keep myself from dwelling on it. At least we have Tango tonight and skiing tomorrow so I won't be sitting around moaning over what I said wrong and what I could have done better. Are other people out there insane like me? Please, god I hope I'm not the only one!

4 comments:

The Moss's said...

I am sooooo sure you were just awesome. And maybe you don't have the experience they need but volunteering your time was a GREAT thing. Like they say, Sometimes it takes being in the right place at the right time. If you don't get the job and can volunteer your time when something comes up thats right up your alley, your "in like Flint". No matter the outcome, we still think your the most talented person we know and we LOVE YOU!!!!!

Bereni (BEAR-wren-knee) said...

They will think you are wonderful like the rest of us do. They will be lucky to have you. Did you give them the Smythe smile?

Melanie said...

I definitely gave them all I have, including the Smythe smile. If that doesn't work, I don't know what, if anything, will!

People Power Granny said...

I just completed an interview today, too, and have one scheduled for next Thursday in the States. Check out my feelings regarding looking for a job when you're past 60 at http://peoplepowergranny.blogspot.com