Friday, January 11, 2008

So, I realize that I've been a slacker this week - so much for New Year's Resolutions! They flew out the window at top speed, didn't they? Ah well, better luck next year. Is anyone having success with their resolutions? Actually, Josh and I are doing quite well with a few of our resolutions but the ones I have for my own personal improvement are falling pretty flat!
Anyways, this week...we went to the French "conversation cafe" which is hosted by glocals.com (an on-line community for English speakers in the Geneva area). It was a bit different than I had expected. It was held in some guys ramshackle apartment. Seriously, I think this guy just found an abandoned building and took up residence. They are "remodeling" the place with extra funds from the conversations cafes. They hold French, Portuguese, a bunch of other languages each on their own night. Everyone just stood around talking in varying degrees of bad French. You could have dinner for an additional 10 chf (chf = Swiss franc) it cost 5 chf just to have the privilege to attend. They served up a great smelling fondue - Josh and I ate before hand (one of our resolutions is to be more money conscious) and actually 10 chf for a fondue is not too bad in this area. I thought that there might be a little bit more structure to the evening, like maybe someone would lead a discussion and give some vocab to those who barely spoke any French. they advertise it as any can come from those who know zero French to more fluent speakers. It was OK for me because I can get by somewhat in French, but it was really very hard for DH. He barely speaks any at all and it was very frustrating for him. He can usually get the gist of a conversation but he doesn't have enough vocabulary to be able to respond. He said he had a good time though. I' m still up in the air about how I feel about it. I'll probably give it another shot or two, but it definitely won't become a weekly must for me. I met some nice people there though. And our Australian friend (who I met in my French course this summer) was there too. She's great. I'm going to miss her when she goes back to Australia at the end of the month. She's not sure how long she'll be in Australia before she's able to come back. She's been on temporary, unpaid leave from work and she has to start back in February. Her husband is working for one of the UN agencies and is waiting on a contract to extend his time here. It's all very confusing and frustrating, but apparently that's life when you work for one of the UN organizations!
Yesterday I dealt with the plumber. A nice man who got our toilet working in a jiffy. He also checked out the area of the kitchen where the flooding occurred. I can't imagine it was due to the pipes since it stopped flooding once it stopped raining, but our landlords wanted him to look.
tomorrow is our first day skiing and we're super excited. We're going to a place called Avoriaz which is in the French Alps. I guess it's about an hours drive from here. We have to be at the CERN Prevessin site (not the site Josh works at, this site is in France) by 7:15 am. The bus leave promptly at 7:30 a.m. if you and your equipment are not loaded on the bust at that time you are left behind! It's going to be a long day. They said we should be back around 7:00 p.m.! Should be fun though. If I'm not too whooped I'll tell you about it tomorrow. but most likely you'll have to wait till Sunday or Monday. I know, I Know the anticipation will kill you.

Alright, I gotta run. I need to start dinner so we can run a couple errands before Tango class. Yikes, we haven't Tangoed in like 3 weeks. I hope we can remember everything. We only practiced for about 15 minutes a couple time since our last class. oh well, c'est la vie!

1 comment:

The Moss's said...

Hope you enjoy your skiing day. PLEASE DON'T break a leg.

Poor kids, all day by themselves.

Enjoy your day.