Friday, November 2, 2007

Ooo la, la....

...what have I gotten myself into? In my desperate search to find either: a.) a job or b.) at least some way to occupy my time that involves humans instead of dogs; I came upon this posting on glocs.com (an on-line community for English speakers in the Geneva area) requesting people to volunteer to help organize an art exhibit featuring African artists, which would support a group called the Inter-African Committee (IAC). This organization focuses on promoting awareness of harmful traditional practices in Africa, such as Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). I thought, "wow, what a great cause. I have some free time, I'll see if they still need some help." In my mind they were looking for people to be bodies to help set-up their already planned art exhibit. Boy, oh boy, I could not have been more wrong!
By organizing, they meant from scratch. And now, because everyone in my family is a bunch of suckers and I'm no exception, I am involved up to my eyeballs. Don't get me wrong I think that it is a wonderful cause, but what the hell do I know about finding African artists, sponsors, gallery space, and all that jazz? Absolutely nothing. Looks like, though I am volunteering my time, I have definitely found a project. Pray that it all turns out alright.
I'm happy to help, but I can't stop this nagging feeling that this whole project is just going to bomb. The people involved really don't know anymore about trying to organize this thing than I do and have thought even less about the expenses. When I asked if they had a budget or had worked up a projected costs budget they stared at me blankly and asked if I could do it. Aaaiiiiyaaaaiiiiy!
So my Friday has been spent trying to figure out what sort of costs would go into this sort of project. Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start with projected cost figures! Right now I just have a very pretty excel spreadsheet with colorful headings and formulas that have no numbers to calculate. I can just feel the success, can't you?
Well, I best be getting back to my budgeting...can I just tell you I have become the budget making queen. Budget for the wedding, household budget, now African art exhibit budget...anyone else need a budget, just give me a call.
Oh and did I mention they want to have this little exhibit on February 6? Oh yeah, and it's purpose is mainly as a fundraiser for the IAC! I think they are wee bit crazy, but I'm doing my best to make it all work.
Wish me luck!

No comments: