Friday, November 16, 2007

update continued....


Let's see, for those of you interested I shall continue with a run down of the weeks events.

Thursday: Joy of joys Josh took the day off from work and we headed into Geneva to see if we might get a little Christmas shopping done. Unfortunately, we weren't terribly successful but it was a fun day nonetheless. We decided to drive to CERN then grab the #9 bus down into Geneva. The disadvantages of driving right now is that there is massive road construction going on and the Genevoise are crazy. For example, if a major road in a city were under construction to the extent that there were multiple intersections where the stop lights were not in use any rational city would have workers directing traffic or put up a temporary light - not true in Geneva. It's a mad dash free for all. You just have to try and cross the intersection when you can. The buses are the worst, they just come barreling through. In fact, on Tuesday I nearly got run down by one as it careened around the corner trying to beat all the other traffic! So, it's advisable to be on the bus rather than driving next to at present. I want to take a moment here to state the bus system in Geneva is wonderful - it is definitely one of the good things about living in anther country. I wanted to take a picture but then I thought I might look like a crazy tourist lady taking pictures of everything in site, which in turn might make me a target for any stray pickpockets still wandering the city (they usually evacuate Geneva in the winter as it's the summer months that attract tourists). We went to Bel Air cité ,
which is the main shopping district in Geneva. Naturally, it has all the normal clothing & toy stores you'd find in any city along with all the high end, designer label stores with employees who look askance at you if you enter in your obviously hand-knitted wool hat and scarf and look like a pennyless waif. I know you'll find it surprising to learn we avoided these stores. Although we weren't entirely successful in finding gifts for other people we did succeed wonderfully in buying stuff for ourselves! Isn't that terrible? We go out looking for gifts and we mainly get things for us! Granted, a needed pair of gloves for Josh and a new pair of knitting needles for me isn't exactly extravagant, but it wasn't exactly to purpose of our trip. After wandering through shop after shop in search of those oh so elusive fabulous Christmas gifts we decided we'd had enough of the cold, the wind, and the shopping and headed home.
This is our standard reaction to a long, and unfruitful day of shopping.We then spent a lovely evening drinking pink champagne and playing UNO. I'm a still a little sore about this. Some of our family and friends might be aware the fact that Josh and I have an on going Uno tournament. Currently, I am about 400 points behind. But in all fairness it has not as much to do with Josh's skills at Uno as his outrageous luck. Look at the hand he was dealt!

Yeah, look at Josh acting all surprised, like he hadn't stacked the deck....oh, wait....he didn't I dealt him that hand. His luck is just out of control. I played ONE card this hand and picked up...hmmm....let's see 14 cards! It's almost enough to make me turn away from Uno forever, but there's still that part of me that says, "some day you will get your revenge. Patience is a virtue."
So, in closing, send me positive thoughts about winning Uno and if you have any helpful hints pass those along as well. Some day I will crush him like a bug, I'm just building him up so that the day of ultimate destruction will be felt all the more. hee, hee, hee (insert evil laughter here).

2 comments:

The Moss's said...

Even the mighty and those on a winning streak are doomed to lose..I can only compare to footballl, NE Patriots...Indy Colts..they all were on major winning streaks at one time and then "bang" the floor dropped out from beneath them. Don't give up the ship I mean the cards. (ha ha)

Melanie said...

Have no fear, I shall persevere and crush my husband like an insignificant bug, even if it takes 20 years to do so!!!!