Wednesday, November 21, 2007

the walk of death



Ah yes, the joys of walking 2 dogs at once! And yet, even though I'm being dragged along by these two beasts it doesn't stop people from rolling down there windows and asking directions. The sad part is that even though I've now been living here for about 7 months - yeah, it's been that long, I can't believe it - I have no idea where anything is, and even if I did know where the road was that they wanted I probably wouldn't understand them when they asked or be able to adequately explain if I did understand!

Josh said this picture looked like I was about to shoot the dogs! Ha, ha...but there are days the thought has crossed my mind. Well, maybe not actually shooting them but, you know....
I would have a picture of the most nerve wracking part of any walk with the dogs - l'espace de la mort: the gap of death, but I'm big chicken (more on that later). There is a section of the road that is very narrow, curves, and has stone walls on either side of the road this is what I have so fondly termed the gap of death , or l'espace de la mort when I'm feeling saucy and want to be more French. It seems as though EVERY time we are passing through the gap of death a car, inevitably, drives through at the same time! Now, rationally, I know that two cars can pass through this gap - I've seen it with my own two eyes. Yet, I can't help thinking we're going to be run down. Man, those two dogs take up nearly as much space as a car! Luckily I have yet to be caught with both dogs when TWO cars are going through. As I said you would have photographic evidence, but when I went to take a picture of it there were four people standing around teh apartment right next to l'espace de la mort and I felt stupid and silly taking a picture of it. So...I didn't. I just kept walking. Then when of the elderly gentlemen was walking a few feet behind me and I thought, "oh hell, now what am I going to do? I'll look stupid if I just turn around and walk back. But I don't want to walk all around the neighborhood, I just finished a walk with the dogs." So, like an idiot, I pretended that I was looking for something that I dropped until he was passed me then I turned around and scooted home. How dumb. When he passed he gave me a very bemused, "Bonjour!" and I just know he was snickering thinking, "silly foreigners." Ah well, I was acting silly and stupid and I didn't even get the picture that I wanted!!! Maybe tomorrow.
Hey, tomorrow's thanksgiving - yay! We've been invited by Marion, our Canadian neighbor, to join her in going to Vevey, Switzerland to celebrate with some of her friends and co-workers. It should be fun, even if it means two hours in the car (one hour there, one hour back). I'll let you know how it goes!
So, if I don't post tomorrow- Happy Turkey Day everyone.

No comments: