Sunday, March 16, 2008

chez coiffeuse


chez coiffeuse = the hairdressers or hair salon. And, yes, I finally dragged myself to the salon to get a haircut. As you can see in the photos I was in desperate need of some les cheveux help (hair). I popped into the salon in Saint-Genis on Tuesday to faire une rendez-vous (make an appointment) I find it's much easier for me to do things in person when I'm trying to speak French rather than over the phone. It's so difficult to understand people on the phone when their speaking French. Facial expressions and gestures are key to my French speaking abilities. So, after answering "Non" to the question of when would I like to make the appointment -for some reason I thought she was asking if I had been there before. Oops. I don't know why I have such difficulties with questions, but they are a pitfall in my French understanding. Once it was established that she was asking WHEN, I managed to make the appointment for Wednesday morning. I had been talking for weeks, months even about getting my haircut but it just seemed so expensive and such a hassle. But, really...look at those photos! I hadn't had my hair cut in almost a year. I know, it's embarrassing to think I let it get so scraggly...but when it's longer and you pull it up most of the time you don't really notice. But I've been wanting a change. Nothing too dramatic but something different than this ragged mass of hair I've been sporting for months. Besides, we're going back to the U.S. in May for my sisters wedding and I thought that was good motivation to get spiffed up. They say you should never change your hairstyle before a major event so I wanted to get it done now so I could get used to it or get it fixed if I totally hated it. Cut my hair...or else.
With only minor trepidation I had my DH drop me at chez coiffeuse (or maybe it's supposed to coiffeur I used the feminine form since I had a female stylist, but I have no idea if this is correct French or not). Why should I have any trepidation at all? Well, if you've read any of my posts you know I'm a freak and nearly pee my pants with fear every time I venture out and have to use French. I was prepared though. I had looked up key phrase in hair cutting. Thank you Rick Steves! We have a great little phrase book with French, Italian, & German and it is hugely helpful. I recommend it to anyone traveling. Heck, anyone moving to another country and need assistance with the language. It doesn't have everything you will ever need but does include some extremely helpful phrases and a menu decoder (this has even helped me at the grocery store on occasion). So, enough of that. I was armed with phrases such as: Je voudrais une coupe (or j'aimerais) = I would like a haircut. Coupez ca a peu pres. = Cut about this much off. and La frange = bangs. With these key phrases and the requisite hand gestures and facial expression (if you know me you know I'm never at a loss for a good facial expression!) I felt sure I could accomplish this monumental task of getting my hair cut.

Lo and behold, for once, I was right. I succeeded quite well. OK, at first there was a bit of confusion because I had no idea what the stylist, Vanessa, wanted from me as she tried to put that smock on me. You know how they cover you all up so you don't get masses of cut hair all over you? Well, every place I've ever been to in the U.S. they just place it over you and velcro or snap it shut behind your neck. But at this salon you actually had to put your arms through - there were sleeves. It took a few perplexing minutes for me to see these. Poor Vanessa must have been thinking "Quelle connard." What a jerk. OK, she probably wasn't thinking that, but she was getting a little irritated with me as she kept repeating her instructions and I just sat there staring at the smock like an idiot. Oh well, I eventually figured it out and we carried on. I explained in my lovely broken French that I wanted my hair cut a mes epaules (to my shoulders). She said Ok and we proceeded to the washing and then on to the cutting. I just love having someone wash my hair. Don't you? It's so luxurious. You just lean back and let someone else do all the work and it feels so good, like a scalp massage!
I was very pleased with the end result and I even tried to make a little conversation with Vanessa. Asking if she thought I should have bangs? La franges!? She looked at me aghast. Even if I couldn't understand everything she said she definitely was against my having bangs - that much was apparent by the look of utter disgust plastered all over her face. Well, I'll just have to trust the stylist that my face is not destined for bangs any time soon. So, in closing. I will post some pictures of my haircut. All in all it was a good experience and I'll probably go back to Vanessa when I need a trim. I was a little disappointed that my 50 Euro haircut didn't seem to include much styling. She just blew it dry. Perhaps that's because when she asked me if I wanted it nature I said "oui". I wasn't exactly sure why she was asking me what I assumed to me, "Do you want your hair natural?" What other way is there? Also, I thought she was talking about cutting it, not styling. Oh well, better luck next time.
So, other than I look sort of stone out or something in my photo - my darling husband kept making me laugh - what do you think? I don't think it's such a huge change, but it's nice. It at least doesn't look so ragged and bushy. I'm really happy with it. C'est bien!!

1 comment:

doctor's mom said...

I love it! It is tres chic! There is nothing like a good haircut (okay, maybe chocolate,too) to get your mood on the upswing!! 50 Euros for a haircut? Wow! I must be cheap, cause I pay $28 and think that is high! But, what can you do? When in France etc, etc....
I really do love it...she did a great job!